Saturday, December 4, 2010

Drivers ignoring stop signs...

Picture it: You're running, you approach an intersection and see a car coming. You know the oncoming car is heading toward a stop sig. You also know you can cross the intersection before the driver comes to a (legally required) stop, so you keep going and the driver opts to treat the stop sign as a yield sign (or, even worse, pretends it isn't there) and drives at you.

This has happened to me several times and every time the driver has stopped before hitting me or I simply stopped and went behind the vehicle. I get it - people aren't always looking for pedestrians.

In today's scenario the driver had no excuse whatsoever.

Running parallel to a busy road, I approached an intersection where traffic trying to cross or turn on to the road have to stop at a stop sign. As I approached the intersection I saw a white van approaching the stop sign. I slowed down, knowing he would have time to stop and go before I crossed. I noticed a crappy burgundy pickup truck behind the van and actually locked eyes with the dark haired male driver. I think I shot him the "Don't even think about driving in front of me look." It all happened quickly. I slowly proceeded into the intersection as the white van turned so I could quickly cross the road - still giving the pickup truck plenty of time to come to the LEGALLY REQUIRED STOP. He didn't stop. Instead, he followed the white van and rolled right through the stop sign and directly at me, with no intent to stop.  I literally ran into the side of his truck and he just kept going. I ranted and raved, pointing and waving at the stop sign and he slowed down, probably looked at me in his rear view mirror, then went on his merry way.

If nearly getting mowed down in broad daylight won't get your adrenaline going I'm not sure what will! Thankfully I was able to channel the adrenaline and anger into a great 5k run. However, I just don't get it. I know I would never intentionally run someone over. I will be the first to admit I get angry when people in my neighborhood stroll out in front of my car while I am trying to drive down the road. However, when I am at a stop sign, I yield to pedestrians - no matter how fast or slow they're going.

Someone from my town told me he was crossing in a crosswalk and this happened, he got angry and hit the car that tried to run him over with his fist - all in site of a local police officer and the officer sided with the driver, not the pedestrian. So, I have to ask...has this ever happened to you?  I did a little research and found I indeed had the right of way in the situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment