Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Resolutions and a Resolution Run

'Tis the season for New Year's resolutions. I don't like that word "resolution" - it sounds like an act of Congress or something (I work in Government Relations so I guess my mind just goes there). I prefer to talk about goals. Last year my "goal" for 2010 was to run a 5k. As a goal-oriented individual, I blew that one out of the water, running six 5ks and a 10k. I will end 2010 on a running high by participating in the four mile Resolution Run here in Grand Rapids, Mich. I'm at the point where four miles isn't much - I've come a long way from the days in late 2009 when I could barely run four blocks!

Looking ahead to 2011, I have a new goal - to complete my first half marathon in March in under 2 hours and 45 minutes. Yes, this one is a little more specific. In addition to a specific time, I have that date - March 20. I'm feeling confident about my goal as we head in to 2011. No, I cannot run 13.1 miles yet (at least I don't think I can)...the furthest I've run so far is just over seven miles. But, you know what, I ran seven miles and felt fine after! I remember the first time I ran a full 3.1 miles when training for that 5k - I seriously wanted to die....and woke up the next morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck! These days, I run six or seven miles and go about my day. I know I still have work to do to get to 13.1 but fully believe I can do it. So, Georgia Marathon, here I come to run your half marathon! I know the route will be hilly - but I love Atlanta and couldn't think of a better place to stay motivated to keep running during the race.

What is your running goal for 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment