Thursday, February 10, 2011

The countdown is on!

In 36 hours I will embark on my longest run to date - nine miles. Not like I'm counting or anything.

So far the half marathon training has been going really well. Well....until last Saturday. Last weekend we did an eight mile run that included a few rolling hills and two really steep ones. Everything was great until about an hour after the run. That's when I hit my wall!

Normally after a long run I feel invigorated! I have so much energy and feel like I could do anything. Not last weekend. Rather than bouncing around town, I sat curled up on the couch feeling like I had been hit by a truck.

Last week a major snow storm hit my town. As a result, running outdoors was virtually impossible. I worked out every day last week but did not run. I know that's what did it.

This week we had near record cold temperatures. I am talking 1 degree for a high. Now, I love my Under Armor cold gear but no cold gear would have gotten me through even a short run in this weather. In order to not experience another miserable Saturday, I opted to fork over $20 for two days as a guest at the local YMCA. Yes, I paid $20 to run a total of 6.2 miles (3.1 each day) on their teeny, tiny, hot, humid track. It was pretty miserable.

I don't know how people tolerate running on that track! Seriously, give me cold weather, ice and snow any day over that miserable, miserable track!

However, that track kept me moving this week.

The plan is to just do a workout video tomorrow and then 9 miles on Saturday. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment