Sunday, February 20, 2011

10 miles down, 28 days to go

The half marathon is 28 days from today!

This week's ten mile run was a struggle. Both my running pal and I were feeling under the weather and, speaking of weather, after a beautiful week of ideal running temperatures, the weather changed and it was a cold (but sunny) run day.

Ten miles is the longest distance I've ever run and I am pretty darn proud of it!

What amazes me about running is that phenomenon of getting "in the zone." I find I hit my stride around the six mile mark - that's when I get "in the zone" and feel like my body is moving without much effort on my part; my mind is perfectly clear and I feel like I am the only person on the planet. It's the craziest (and coolest) experience. Of course, then some big truck comes barreling down on me...or some fellow runner goes speeding by...and I snap out of it pretty quickly.

While I enjoy the "zone" phenomenon, I do feel like running is sort of taking over my life right now. My weekends revolve around long runs and on weekdays, I'm planning my after work activities around when I can get in shorter runs. Not to mention, I talk about running. I talk about it a lot. I don't want to become one of those running assholes, you know, those people who can only talk about running. Now, since I am not a "real" runner and I will never be a real runner (you know those people: they've got those perfectly sculpted calves, they look good in spandex and they are always dressed like Sporty Spice) so, there is no way I will ever really talk running that much. I'll just write about it instead!!

No comments:

Post a Comment