Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hitting the wall: 12 miles

T-minus two weeks until the big half marathon!

Today was our final long run - 12 miles - and let me tell you, it kicked my butt! I hobbled home, showered, put on my pajamas and have been reapplying the Icy Hot ever since.

I must admit I am now feeling a bit of trepidation after today's experience. The last few runs have been so easy. Last week, for example, after 11 miles I was sore but managed to go on to a local beer festival and drink the day away for five hours of nonstop standing and walking. At this moment I feel like I've been hit by a bus!

I've been trying to run a little differently to save my knees and, in turn, I am killing my arches. I need to fix this pronto. I think I'd rather have sore knees!

Despite my misery, I do feel accomplished. I never thought I would run 12 miles and, sure enough, I did today! The weather still isn't fully cooperating either. There's still some ice and snow to contend with which makes these long runs extra special.

I'm hoping for an "easy" five or six miles next weekend to rebuild my confidence. I've been feeling good until today - and I know so much of this whole running thing is mental - so it's time to start psyching myself up for the big event in two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment