Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Charity Running

With the half marathon 11 days away, I am nursing some sort of foot pain. I managed to run two miles today - though they were quite slow - and I am a little concerned  that the pain from Sunday's run is still with me. I plan to stop by a running store tomorrow to talk to the pros about inserts for my shoes to help ease the pain.

I've had plans for some time to keep doing long distance running through the end of the year. I am officially signed up for the Fifth Third River Bank Run in Grand Rapids, Mich. (my town) and yes, I am running the 25k (15.5 miles). What will make this run extra special is that I have decided to join the American Cancer Society's DetermiNATION team and run to raise funds for ACS. I'm looking for sponsors - $15 for one mile. My deal is, if you sponsor me for 1 mile - I will dedicate that mile to you and I will run with your name (or the name of a loved one who had/has cancer) or photo pinned to me during the River Bank Run.

I am REALLY excited about this! This evening a sorority sister signed up as my first "sponsor" - 14 more to go!

With the half marathon coming up I am really pumped for many reasons - I used to live in Atlanta and love it there, so I'm excited just to be there and, of course, to run this race that I've trained so long and so hard for! However, I think I am even more excited about the longer race right here in my backyard because I will be doing it in honor and memory of people who've been touched by cancer - a disease I despise and want to do something about!

Check out my fundraising page here: http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/DetermiNation/DNFY10GreatLakes?px=9676364&pg=personal&fr_id=34380

Initially I thought I would just hit up my runner friends for support for this event (since I am on a team for a different fundraising event for ACS) but then I heard about getting sponsors for miles and decided to ask for sponsors via Facebook. In the interest of full disclosure (isn't that what blogs are about?), here's the email I sent to my runner friends - it is embarrassing and personal but, oh well, it's all for a good cause:

Hello runner friends!

I know my running updates on Facebook are hard to miss! I can't believe my first half marathon is less than two weeks away! I've been training hard for this and, for someone who failed "running" in high school gym class because I couldn't run a 15 minute mile, I can't believe I am doing this in my 30s! By the way, depending on length of run I am between 11:15 - 12:15 minute mile and I am pretty darn proud of that.


Anyway, I've hit some of you up to support my Relay For Life team in the past but that's not really where my heart is this year. I started running a year and a half ago to take control of my life when my dad was diagnosed with cancer, my favorite aunt was dying of cancer and my weight was out of control. Running has helped my mental and physical health. In fact, as of this morning I am down 65 pounds since I started "really" running...and I feel amazing!  And while my Aunt Vicki lost her battle with cancer, I am so proud to say my dad is currently CANCER FREE and doing well! 

This year I have decided to join the American Cancer Society DetermiNation endurance event program, and I would like to ask for your help as I try to cross two finish lines instead of just one. This means I will run the 25k at the Fifth Third River Bank Run as an official runner for ACS (AND it means I won't hit you up for a Relay donation again - ha, ha!). For me, this means the big half marathon on 3.20.11 brings me one step closer to my goal of completing the 15.5 mile race on 5.14.11.

I’m truly excited to be a part of this team, and I hope you’ll support me if you can so that I can finish the race and achieve my goal of raising funds for the American Cancer Society.

I know times are tough for many of us right now, so I appreciate any contribution you can offer. Or, if you are running the River Bank and would like to run for ACS let me know and I'll hook you up! 

Each of us has our own reasons for caring about the fight against cancer. Whatever your reasons, I hope you’ll choose to make a difference by donating online to support my effort. Thanks to the generosity of people like you, 11 million cancer survivors like my dad are celebrating another birthday this year! In fact, it was ACS research that funded my dad's chemo drug and saved his life!!
And heck, if fighting cancer isn't your thing, consider making a donation to help encourage me as I keep training - as you know, all this running is exhilarating but also exhausting! :-) Please help me meet my very small fundraising goal - any size donation willl help!! And, before I forget, THANK YOU for your encouragement with your Facebook "likes" and kind words these last few months as I've shared the details of my running. I appreciate your support!  

Sincerely,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment